Advanced Nurse Practitioner (ANP) Appointments
We have recently welcomed Majella Beattie to the practice staff to work as an Advanced Nurse Practitioner (ANP). ANPs are nurses who have acquired extra skill-sets that enable them to operate at a higher clinical level than normal practice nurses. An ANP can diagnose, prescribe and manage patient conditions in a way similar to GPs. At the moment our ANP appointments are suitable for the following conditions:
- Chest/sinus infections
- Cold sores/athletes foot
- Ear/nose/throat infections
- Eye infection/stye/conjunctivitis
- Hay fever
- Muscular pain
- UTIs (but only if the patient does not meet criteria for the Pharmacy service)
- Vaginal discharge
- Wound infections
The ANP clinics are always supported by the Duty Doctor for advice when required.
- The ANP clinics are for self-limiting conditions not linked to an on-going medical condition, in other words patients that have a new set of symptoms that are not part of a chronic pre-existing condition
- If a patient has a recurrent infection they should book an appointment with a GP.
- Pregnant women and children under five years old should book an appointment with a GP.