Advanced Nurse Practitioner (ANP):
We have recently welcomed Majella Beattie to the practice staff to work as an Advanced Nurse Practitioner (ANP). ANPs are nurses who have acquired extra skill-sets that enable them to operate at a higher clinical level than normal practice nurses. An ANP can diagnose, prescribe and manage patient conditions in a way similar to GPs. At the moment our ANP appointments are suitable for the following conditions:
- Ear/nose/throat infections
- Eye infection/stye/conjunctivitis
- UTIs (but only if the patient does not meet criteria for the Pharmacy service)
The ANP clinics are always supported by the Duty Doctor for advice when required.
- The ANP clinics are for self-limiting conditions not linked to an on-going medical condition, in other words patients that have a new set of symptoms that are not part of a chronic pre-existing condition
- If a patient has a recurrent infection they should book an appointment with a GP.
- Pregnant women and children under five years old should book an appointment with a GP.